Colon is known as the large intestine in simpler language, and it is where your body does the extraction of salt and water from solid wastes before the waste exits the body after passing through the rectum. Colon cancer is cancer of the large intestine as the name itself indicates. Moreover, it is one of the most common cancerous diseases that occurs in both men and women and has been found to be the third highest in the United States.
Causes of Colon Cancer
It is already known that in any type of cancer, the cells re-grow and divide at an alarming rate. Colon cancer usually originates from the benign tumors which are known as adenomatous polyps. These cancer cells spread from the large intestine to other parts of the body via the bloodstream. Although colon cancer spreads rapidly, its symptoms show up gradually.
Furthermore, hyperplastic polyps may also cause this disease to occur. If these polyps are not treated at an early stage, they may grow into malignant tumors. The exact causes are still yet to be found but there are several known factors which cause it. It is important to keep a lookout of the symptoms that occur when one is suffering from this illness. The most common symptoms are listed below.
Symptoms of Colon Cancer
The symptoms of colon cancer develop slowly and they are not visible in the first stage. But when they do, they are likely to appear in the large intestine. Some of the symptoms are:
- Change in the stool consistency
- Having diarrhea or constipation
- Blood in stool
- Rectal bleeding
- Abdominal distress like cramps or pain
- Lethargic or weakness
- Weight loss
Consequences of Colon Cancer
Don’t we all know that cancers have a hazardous effect on the body? Well, so does Colon cancer. In fact, there are many adverse effects of Colon cancer and treating it through radiation techniques tend to damage the neighboring cells and tissues. The side effects vary from person to person and treatment to treatment. Colon cancer usually spreads down the rectum and into the other parts. The side effects of its chemotherapy are:
- Hair loss
- Loss of appetite
The radiation also has side effects. The harmful rays like X-rays, gamma rays, beta rays are passed through the person’s body and damage the tissues. These radiation rays are strong can help reduce or finish the tumor but it also causes damage the body as the rays are emitted from metals like radium.
It is to be noted that this disease is the third most common amongst cancer-related deaths. Hence the earlier the patient gets it diagnosed, the better it is as treatment in earlier stages of the cancer is likely to be successful. Also, instead of depending on expensive medications and chemotherapy, Colon cancer may also be treated to a good extent through natural treatments.
Natural treatment of Colon Cancer
There is a saying that ‘prevention is better than cure’. Everyone needs to have a balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle. We tend to ignore certain things but it can lead to a lot of diseases later on. Some of the preventative measures are:
- Being in the normal range of BMI, i.e. one shouldn’t be underweight or obese.
- Exercise regularly, making it part of your lifestyle.
- Have a high fiber diet by including green vegetables, fruits, raw salads in your diet.
- Drink plenty of water as it’s the natural remedy for all diseases.
- Have less saturated fats in your diet and avoid fatty foods, red meat.
- Smoking is the cause of many other cancers like lung cancer, it has many other harmful
effects and so smoking should be quitted.
- Same goes for alcohol, it should not be part of one’s daily use.
- Consuming more garlic as it high in sulfur and selenium and other minerals. According to WHO, an adult should consume one clove of garlic a day. Similar foods to garlic are onions, leeks, scallions, and chives.
- Olive oil as we have heard has numerous benefits. It’s recommended to use it as a cooking oil as well. It has anti-cancer properties. The phenols in the olive oil help apply a cancer protective effect.
- Consume high selenium foods that hinder colon cancer to a large extent by killing the colon cancer cells. Foods like garlic, nuts, fish, mushrooms, oats, whole grain foods etc.
- Have a diet high in omega 3 oils which also helps in the inhibition of colon cancer. They are present in fish like salmon, mackerel, sardines, and cod. Omega 3 oils help reduce the pro-inflammatory molecules that give a boost to cancer cells. If your diet lacks Omega 3 oils it’s better to switch to omega 3 supplements.
Colon Cancer, like most other cancers, is life threatening and dreaded by all those who are prone to discomfort in the large intestine. Thankfully, growth of malign tumors in the large intestine can be prevented by certain natural remedies that are mainly food related. So, in simple words, we should have knowledge of the foods we intake and keep a balance. Besides, keeping fit and indulging a healthy diet is essential for your well-being regardless of the fact that you are suffering from Colon cancer or any other medical ailment.